This Almond Chai drink has so many health benefits its ridiculous! This is thanks to the wonderful spices it contains. Here is a summary of how this drink will help you be the most fabulous you:
- It’s anti-inflammatory and immune boosting helping you to stave off colds, flus and other nasties.
- It will warm you and boost your metabolism.
- It’s a digestive – it will help soothe your stomach.
- It helps to balance your blood sugar levels thanks to the cinnamon and fibre content.
- It will help with weight-loss as it will help stave off hunger pangs.
This will be easiest to make in a high speed blender such as a Vitamix or Blendtec. If your blender struggles, try soaking the almonds for at least 2 hours or over night first. If that won’t work, use shop bought almond milk and skip the dates (the milk is usually already sweetened) and follow the lower instructions.
- 15g/2tbs almonds (preferably peeled)
- 15/2tbs soaked (30mins) or sprouted buckwheat (optional)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamon
- 1/2 tsp ground or fresh ginger
- 1-3 dates (depending on taste)
- 4 black pepper corns
- 1/4 tsp ground star anise (or 2 wings if you have a high speed blender)
- 2 cups of hot brewed rooibos tea
In a high speed blender: Blend until smooth. 🙂
No blender: Grind the pepper corns, cloves and star anise in a pestle and mortar. In a small saucepan, pour in the almond milk and all the spices. Bring to a gentle simmer for 1 minute. Allow to cool and brew for a couple of minutes, then strain through a fine sieve to serve. Voila!
If you’re into Raw, amazing Raw Food Chef Deborah has recently posted a very similar recipe here!
Tip: you can brew some of your favourite herbal teas to add to this, eg. rooibos, dandelion root, ginger, etc.
Have you tried this recipe? What do you think? Did you change any of the spices? Please share below!