Despite tasting decadent, this hot chocolate is abundant in nutrients, include fibre, protein, healthy fats, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. Hazelnuts are an excellent source of flavonoids which support brain health, improve circulation and can even help to reduce the symptoms of allergies.
- Blender – a high speed blender, such as a Vitamix, will give the smoothest results.
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Serving glasses/mugs
- 4 tbs hazelnuts or 1litre / 4 cups of hazelnut milk and miss out the water
- 1 litre / 4 cups warmed water
- 2 tbs heaped cacao powder or carob powder
- 2-4 tbs oats* (optional, this gives it a thick texture)
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 8 dates / 4 tbs date syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbs lecithin (available in health food shops)
*Use oat flour if you have a weak blender
Blend all ingredients together until smooth.
Serve as a hot drink or as a sauce to your favourite dessert!
Have you tried this recipe? Did you personalise it? What did you think? I love to get your feedback, so please share below!