As unbelievable as it may sound, this fantastically indulgent lemon tart is 100% nutritious:
- Thanks to the high amount of fresh lemon juice, it is high in vitamin C, an important antioxidant needed to maintain your immune system and fight free-radical damage.
- Creamed coconut (also known as coconut concentrate) is high in pottassium and fibre.
- Coconut oil/butter is antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial. It is such a great food that it can help prevent cardiovascular disease, improve your metabolism and boost your thyroid.
- Almonds are unique in being the only alkaline nut. They are said to be the most nutritious of all nuts and have a very wide range of nutrients. They are particularly high in fibre and a great source of calcium, magnesium and vitamin E.
- Raw honey is rich in enzymes, minerals and vitamins, it's antibacterial and antifungal.
- Dates are high in iron and a range of B vitamins: B1, B2, B3 and B5. B vitamins are needed to maintain and increase your metabolism, they help to maintain healthy skin, hair, nails and muscle tone, they enhance immune and nervous system function and they promote cell growth and division.
- Buckwheat is gluten free and is a whole protein.
This extravagant dessert is incredibly simple to make, too!
For the base
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup dehydrated sprouted buckwheat (or replace with 1 cup almond flour)
- 1/2 cup dates
- 1/2 cup water
For the filling
- 5 lemons, juice and grated rind
- 1 cup raw honey
- 1 packet of creamed coconut (or 1 cup cashew nuts, soaked over a few hours, if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespooon of lecithin
If you don't have a powerful blender, soak the dates for a couple of hours first. Blend the dates and water until you have a thick paste. In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the base until you have a kind of crumbly dough. Press the mixture into a round fluted dish so that it has a hollow in the middle and rounded up edges. Place in the freezer while you make the filling.
Blend all of the ingredients for the filling until smooth. Pour onto the base and refrigerate for at least an hour. Alternatively you could place in the freezer for 30 minutes and have it as more of a frozen dessert.
Serve with fresh berries, home-made icecream or simply on its own!
Have you tried this desert? What did you think?